Unique Identifier DOI
Central Library in cooperation with the Editorial Centre offers a new service for assigning a unique identifier to digital documents, the so-called DOI (digital object identifier).
Who can apply for a DOI?
The service is intended for VŠB-TUO staff. All VŠB-TUO departments can apply for it for their electronic publications issued by VŠB-TUO.
How to apply for a DOI?
You can apply for a DOI by submitting an application addressed to a staff of the Editorial Centre, see contact details below. A separate application is required for each publication. A sample application form is attached to the below document. It is possible to apply for a DOI for the whole publication, for an individual chapter of a publication or for an individual article of a conference proceeding.
All full texts with their assigned DOIs will be registered in the Crossref database. This registration is a condition for using the plagiarism checking service Similarity Check, see the Crossref/Similarity Check instructions (TUO_PKP_19_001).
Guidance on DOI Assignment (TUO_PKP_19_001)
The rules for assigning a DOI are governed by the controlled system document - Guidance on DOI Assignment, see Guidance (only in Czech).
Application for DOI assignment
Ing. Irena Holbová, Editorial Centre, phone 597 325 529, room JA 422
Plagiarism Checking Service – Crossref/Similarity Check
Thanks to its membership in Crossref, an official DOI registration agency, VSB-TUO can use a service for checking plagiarism, the so-called Similarity Check. This service uses the software iThenticate that verifies the authenticity of the checked texts against a worldwide database of more than 50 million texts (articles, books, dissertations and other academic content, millions of websites etc.)
Similarity Check provides a report of the performed check that contains a percentage score of the match with other texts and highlights all passages that overlap with other texts.
The service is primarily intended for VSB-TUO staff for checking scientific publications, usually manuscripts of scientific articles written in English.
In addition, it is possible to compare individual documents with up to five other uploaded documents. None of these texts will be indexed and will not be a part of the Similarity Check database.
Only university staff and PhD students can apply for plagiarism inspection services.
Types of publications eligible for control
- scientific articles for journals
- proceeding articles
- book chapters
Authorized users of the Similarity Check service undertake not to disclose confidential and sensitive information obtained by using the Similarity Check service to third parties. All information resulting from the control of documents is considered confidential and sensitive.
Crossref / Similarity Check Instructions (TUO_PKP_19_001)
Guidelines for using the plagiarism control service are governed by a controlled system document – Crossref / Similarity Check Instructions, see Guidelines (only in Czech).
Request for Similarity Check Service
Mgr. Nela Stebnická, phone 597 324 574, room UK 122
Writefull - proofreading tool
Writefull is a proofreading tool for academic writing. The Central library secured the license for academics, researchers, as well as for students to use the tool for proofreading their texts written in English. Thus, Writefull increases the chance of accepting an article in renowned journals.
Writefull corrects grammar, vocabulary, punctuation, and is aimed specifically at academic writing.
For VSB-TUO users, Writefull is available on the basis of an annual subscription to an institutional license which contains:
- Writefull for Word: add-on to MS Word for editing text during typing.
- Writefull Revise and Writefull Cite: online tools for already written texts.
How does Writefull work?
Writefull uses artificial intelligence AI (deep learning algorithms) and an extensive language database based on millions of published academic texts. It checks:
- Vocabulary: Writefull offers alternatives to unsuitable words.
- Grammar: Writefull checks the use of prepositions, articles, verb and noun forms, etc.
- Style: Scientific writing has its own style and Writefull tells if the used language is inappropriate or too wordy.
- Punctuation: Writefull corrects any overuse, underuse or misuse of punctuation.
- Synonyms: Writefull offers synonyms which helps avoid repetitive words.
- Sentence Palette: Writefull contains a collection of sentences and phrases commonly used in specific papers which helps structure and write any text.
Writefull expresses the percentage of the proposed alternative.
Install the Writefull for Word add-on
- Download the Writefull for Word add-on from the Microsoft website.
- Or install it directly in MS Word via the Insert/Get Add-ons/Store tab,
- Create a personal account in Writefull using the university e-mail address.
- Writefull Revise: a language correction tool intended for already written texts. It is thus an ideal tool for checking a finished article before sending it to a publisher or a conference organizer.
- Writefull Cite can identify those parts of the academic text that should be referenced in the literature. Unlike the anti-plagiarism systems (which are based on a database of published articles), Writefull Cite uses linguistic algorithms and AI to identify cited sources.
Instructions for download
Writefull for Word Guide (PDF; 2,45 MB)
Writefull: Launch pack for institutions (PDF; 1,75 MB)
Jana Černínová, phone 597 324 544, room UK 135